This is Duolingo, a language-learning website/app that deserves some serious recognition. It offers over 10 languages for English speakers, as well as courses for non-English speakers around the world, and they’re in the process of adding more.
But wait, I don’t want to do any more schoolwork! Not to worry little one, Duolingo is actually more like a game. You can compete with friends, and earn “lingots” (which are basically Duolingo money) to buy power-ups, extra activities, and bonus skills - like Flirting.
I’m already taking a language, what do I need this for?
It’s not really a secret that most school language courses (in America, anyway) suck and only teach you to speak the language at about a third grader’s level. Which is why Duolingo is so freaking awesome.
Teachers can’t give every student individualized attention, but Duolingo can. If you’re not learning the way you want to or as much as you want to in the classroom, Duolingo is a really great resource. It’s easy, tailored to you, and really effective.
Duolingo tracks your progress and reminds you when you haven’t studied for a while or need a refresher on something. Already semi-fluent in a language? No problem, just take a shortcut to more advanced subjects or test out of the lesson.
The lessons start with the basics (he, she, hello, thank you, etc) and move up to harder stuff. Duolingo focuses on vocabulary first, so you can learn the language and then the grammar that goes with it - much simpler than the system most schools use. It also tracks the number of words you’ve learned and how well you know them.
And you don’t even have to write out the flashcards!
Duolingo is perfect for reviewing everything you forgot over the summer or giving you the extra help you need. And if you’re trying to learn a language on your own, it’s fantastic - you don’t have to create your own lessons. Whether you’re trying to learn your second, third, or fifth language, I seriously recommend Duolingo.
Okay, what else?
Duolingo also has discussion boards, where you can ask for help with a hard lesson, make new friends, watch for updates, and share your achievements.
Even better is the Immersion feature. It won’t send you to Spain or France, but it’s pretty awesome. Duolingo takes real articles from the internet, which users translate. You can translate articles from your native language into the language you’re learning or vice versa, which gives you more experience and makes the Internet more universal.
You can suggest new languages and track Duolingo’s progress in creating new courses. Bilinguals (older than 13) can help to create these courses. Duolingo has a long list of courses that can be contributed to, like Punjabi, Hebrew, and Vietnamese. Oh, and Dothraki, Klingon, Sindarin, and Esperanto.
And the best part? IT’S COMPLETELY FREE.
If you love languages or just want to pass French class this year, USE DUOLINGO. Download the app and practice a language while you wait for the bus instead of playing Angry Birds!
I took this picture of Oli and myself today at the pool. After we got done swimming, we were walking home and had to pass by a group of cheerleaders that were practicing on my uni’s campus. One of the cheerleaders looked at Oliver and said, “She’s so cute!” With a smile on my face, I ruffled Oli’s hair and said, “HE.” as we continued walking past her. Immediately the girl winced, turned to her friend, and said, “Oh my god, she’s turning him gay..”
I am not turning my son gay by allowing him to express himself by wearing a floral dress. I’m so sick of people making comments that I’m altering my son’s sexual orientation or his gender identity because he’s wearing a dress. IT’S A DRESS. IT IS LITERALLY CLOTHING. If he is gay, that’s cool, I’ll accept him no matter what, and if he decides at any point he’s anything but a boy, I’ll still accept him (er, them/her). But allowing him to pick out his own clothes and taking him clothes shopping with me so he can pick out what he likes is not going to have ANY affect on his orientation/identity. The only concern I have about him wearing a dress is when he pulls it up to show me how big his tummy is in public, because I don’t want him showing a bunch of strangers his underwear.
If he was a little girl wearing a pair of shorts or a t-shirt with a dump truck on it, no one would say anything, because dressing as a boy is different. People see wearing a dress as a negative thing when you’re a boy, they say he’ll turn gay and that I’m a bad mom and I’m trying to turn him into a girl. But the bottom line is that him wearing a dress has nothing to do with being a boy or his orientation. If he’s gay, he’s gay. He’s too young to slap a sexuality on him at 3 and a half, and that’s not something I’m particularly worried about, because at this age he treats everybody the same and doesn’t have comprehension of what sexual/romantic attraction is. Wearing a dress has nothing to do with that.
He is a boy. He plays with dump trucks, rolls around in dirt, growls at everyone, and pretends to fart for fun. He also paints his nails, is obsessed with Sailor Moon, refers to himself as Princess Oliver, and yes, wears dresses. He is a boy.
You sounds like an amazing mother.
“how the fuck are you making hd gifsets of a movie that’s still in theatres” a book by me
the sequel: “how did you make that gifset that episode aired 4.01 seconds ago”
the trilogy: “what the hell that awards show is airing this very moment where the fuck are all these gifs comings from”
The quadrilogy: how the fuck do you make gifs
Sorrysorry this is the last time you’ll see me posting things of this. I was just really bothered by that, because of my lack of editing skills, the video kind of lowered the quality and made it look even more shaky/crappy. So uhm have a slightly better looking gifset?
Even as a Kataang shipper I can appreciate how awesome this is.
YES WENDY. [x]
He is a rude and disrespectful person and is being given very little press attention for his atrocious behaviour. Whereas Miley is being blasted by EVERYONE for her artistic choices.
Hes not disrespectful he saved life’s thanks to all the haters he could be quitting music. The media is trying to tear him apart.. Look he was only 13 when he got signed. Hes been through a lot just respect that. Hes saving life’s right now and every second of the day. Yeah he can say things but he doesn’t mean them.
Reasons why Justin Bieber is a disrespectful jerk:
- he said rape happens for a reason
- he wrote in a guest book at Anne Frank’s house that he ‘wishes she was a Belieber’
- he gagged and spat out a vegan steak that had been specially ordered for him
- he makes his fans pay tons of money to see him live, when he could easily afford tickets to be priced at like $40 instead of $100+
- he visited a children’s hospital in England and made them clear a space for him because he didn’t want to sit with the sick children. He stayed for 5 minutes while the cameras were rolling, then left without so much as a ‘thank you’
- he attacked a photographer at said hospital
- he peed in a restaurent kitchen
- he faked a really bad asthma attack, made his security guards call the paramedics, when they arrived he laughed his ass off and his people payed everyone to keep quiet about it
- he called a car to take him to the mall, then sent it back because he didn’t like the colour. he went to the mall and stayed for 5 minutes before leaving and saying it was the shittest mall he’d ever been to
- he got banned from Disneyland for punching Goofy
- he showed up to his own concert 2 hours late on a school night and then refused to give an explanation
- he is quoted as screaming ‘fuck bill clinton’ and attacking a cameraman, who is suing
- his mother is quoted as saying she ‘hopes he’ll mature soon’
- he spat on an old man’s face
- he threw a temper tantrum in a theatre because he was told he couldn’t bring his subway sandwich in because it was against the rules. he made a huge mess of the theatre and had to be carried out by bodyguards kicking and screaming that they were all worthless monkeys
- he showed up at disney unanounced and demanded that an entire restaurent be cleared so he could eat there, although people had had their reservations booked for months.
- he laughed at and told a woman in a bikini at a hotel swimming pool that she looked like a beached whale
there’s no point in trying to defend him, his actions are disrespectful and wrong and there are no excuses for them
reblogging again bc this^
whose lives are being saved by Beiber seriously?
Bruh. Miley was 9 years old when she started acting.
1x20 Gideon Rises
finDING GOOD QUALITY STUFF FOR SUPER CHEA P